He finally arrived. On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 9:54pm, Finn William Cardon decided to join our family. He weighed 7lbs 7oz and is 21 inches long.
Last Monday before he was born, I started to have some concerns because my usually very active guy hadn't been moving much all day. Since this was my fourth time being pregnant, I didn't call the doctor, but did what I knew they could tell me and tried to be still and count fetal movements. I did finally feel him move a few times and went about the evening just thinking he would pick back up. At 11pm, I almost went to the hospital to check on him, but then finally got a couple of good movements out of him and decided to wait for my 9am appointment. When I got to the doctor I still wasn't feel much if any movement from him and she was surprised that he didn't kick back at the heart monitor like he usually does. Then his heart rate was a little lower than normal, so she decided to send me up to have him monitored for a while.
After going to call upstairs to Labor and Delivery about monitoring, the doctor came back and said she just seemed concerned. She felt that since I usually don't have any concerns about this baby or my others and I have had enough babies to know when something is different, she felt like we should just induce early and get him here. There was a lot going on in Labor and Delivery and they told her it would be a couple of hours before they would have a room, she sent me to the OB special care to monitor him. Caleb arrived a bit later and we waited. His heart rate stayed constant, but he still wasn't moving around. Finally around 2pm, the doctor came in and said that things were crazy and that they might not have a room for me until 6pm or so, but she wasn't comfortable sending me home. So we waited. Finally at 6 we went to Labor and Delivery and started the induction by 7pm. Within 3 hours we had a beautiful baby boy. It turns out that he was pretty tangled up in the umbilical cord and took a fair bit of unwinding on the way out, and the doctor and nurses said that was most likely what was keeping him from being able to move. Fortunately, after he cried out for a while, he went from being bluish purple to more a pink little bundle.
We finally picked a name for him the next afternoon, and feel like it suits him and our family perfectly. He is such a cute tiny guy.
Gavin adores him and wants to hold him whenever he can.
Wyatt is also slightly amazed and excited about "Baby. Finn." He keeps pointing him out to everyone when he remembers to take a break from playing to notice him.
Henry wasn't too excited to hold Finn at the hospital, but has spent lots of time getting to know him since.
Grandma and Papa stayed in town after the reunion to help with the boys and get a chance to meet Finn in his early days. The boys have loved having them around and I am sure they will be sad to see them head back to Iowa.
The Loos even came up to pay the little guy a visit. Finn and Auntie Rena.
Hanging out with my boys at the hospital.
Here he is getting ready to come home. He wasn't super excited about the car seat, but adjusted to it fine. Luckily he won't have to go anywhere in it again too soon.


1 comment:
Finn sure is a cutie! Wish we could see him soon!
Post a Comment